Monday, February 13, 2012

The Volta Region

On Saturday morning, Kelly, Katie, and I set off for the Volta Region with two other international students. We accomplished quite a lot in two days!

Our first stop was the Wli Waterfall.


It was beautiful!!! There is an upper falls that you can hike to as well, so we might go back sometime and do that!

That evening we stayed at a monkey sanctuary, located in a village of about 2,000 people. The profits from the sanctuary go the the community, funds have already contributed to the construction of a school and access to electricity in the village.

  The sanctuary is home to over 600 Mona monkeys. These monkeys live in groups of about 45, and the biggest monkey is the "commander" of the group. We woke up at 5:45 AM on Sunday morning to go feed the monkeys.


To my delight, there was a baby monkey!!! 


I WANT ONE!!!

Our next stop was Mt. Afadjato, the highest mountain in Ghana! We climbed 885 meters to the top. It was ROUGH. The Ghanaians do not appear to know much about trail building, because the majority of the trail was straight up.


I made it!

In addition to showing how sweaty I was, the picture also shows how horrible the harmattan is in Ghana right now. None of my pictures from the top of the mountain really turned out since it's so hazy and the air is full of dust.

A major shout out to my parents who will be hiking to way higher elevations on their trip to Tasmania in May.

3 comments:

  1. please bring a baby monkey home with you,I'm sure they won't mind! Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and monkeys...but pretty cool I suppose. More importantly, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is awesome, and I'm glad you read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya, having a monkey on my arm would probably make the trip for me. Sorry that the Black Stars didn't make it to finals of AFCON, that would've been fun to experience. Sounds like you're really getting the culture, just try not to make too many solo forays to find internet....don't make me come over there. :) Was in the single digits two nights ago here in Roanoke with about 30 mph winds...crazy! Hope the weather there is better. Love you!

    ReplyDelete