Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Only Real When Experienced

Yesterday, almost four weeks after the end of classes, I took my last two finals.

Today, I leave.

WOAH. Where did  the semester go? There were days when today felt years away, yet, here it is.

I have so much to say about this experience. I sit here wondering how I will answer the question, "How was Africa?"

I turn to the title of my friend Patrick's photo album of Ghana on facebook: "only real when experienced."

For now, I'll leave you with a quote:

"Adventure is a path. Real adventure
- self determined, self-motivated, often risky -
forces you to have firsthand encounters with the world.
The world the way it is, not the way you imagine it.
Your body will collide with the earth and you will bear witness.
In this way you will be compelled to grapple with
the limitless kindness and bottomless cruelty of humankind -
and perhaps realize that you yourself are capable of both.
This will change you. Nothing will ever again be black-and-white."
-Mark Jenkins

2 comments: