Saturday, May 5, 2012

Farewell Dinner

  Earlier this week, my program had its farewell dinner.

Farewell dinner? I don't leave until the 23rd! The three week final period only just started today; however, with differing final schedules, some people are able to leave early and others are trying to fit in a last trip or two.

The evening involved a full Ghanaian spread, drumming, and dancing.

Clockwise: Jollof rice, plain rice, red-red (fried plantains and bean stew), fried chicken, fried yam and palaver sauce, fried sweet potatoes.
                                                          Okra stew, the Ghanaian Gumbo

As you might have noticed, Ghanaian cuisine typically involves 1) carbs, carbs, and more carbs, 2) frying almost everything, and 3) palm oil. So, fear not, I will not be returning to the states a shadow of my former self.

I thought I'd introduce you to two Ghanaian beverages:

                    Palm Wine                                          and                                           Bissap
















Palm wine, made from fermented sap, tastes pretty good, but the yeast-like smell is a bit of a turn off for me. I believe Bissap is made from dried hibiscus flowers. I don't really like it, but I'm also not a huge fan of ginger and the Ghanaian Bissap is heavy on the ginger.

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

18 days until I leave, eeeeeek!

1 comment:

  1. yumm! Bring me back a bowl of the gumbo please? miss you so much!

    ReplyDelete